Tuesday 25 November 2008

Call of Duty: World at War

All I've to go say is that I thought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was really really good, even if every dickhead from here to the fucking moon with a current generation console has been mercilessly bumming it's online capabilities for a year straight. It was up to date, original and brilliantly executed. Then all those dickheads condemned World at War before it was even close to launch just because it was being developed by people who cocked up Call of Duty 3 by trying to make about 4 different games in a very limited time frame.

Personally, I think it was a stupid idea but I respect the fact that they still managed to finish those games even if they were shit, and I've been saying that World at War may very well live up to Modern Warfare because the developers were actually concentrating this time. I got shouted at and then these dickheads cheered and heckled me when World at War was actually launched. I don't understand either, but after all, these are dickheads, we're not supposed to pay any attention to them. Anyway, in order to convince my manager to buy a 360 after he'd agreed to sell his as a Christmas present, I had to buy myself a copy of World at War and all I've got to say is this:

FUCK OFF. I'm so sick and bored of playing WWII games that I could only just manage finishing the first level. Yes, I know. Bouncing Betties, flame-throwers, napalm etc etc, hernia. I've had enough. You can praise the bollocks off it all you want if your a fanboy or if you're being paid to review it; right now I'm neither so it can go fuck itself.

If I have to play a war game, it has to have guns that are modern. AT LEAST. War, like most things, is more interesting with lasers. Do you live with a black and white TV until you're bored of it, then upgrade to a modern TV that has a serial number for a name to watch Star Wars on it, praise it's bollocks off then screw with the settings to make it look really old?

NO YOU FUCKING DON'T. So don't make an awesome modern game, then follow your success by doing exactly what everyone else has been doing for the last 15 years. I've played, I've judged, I'm not going back to the 1940's.

3 comments:

Timothy William Schofield said...

Essentially, the reason World at War was made by Treyarch (the guys who made COD3) rather than Infinity Ward, was because COD became a joint venture between the two. Treyarch have basically taken a page out of Infinity Ward's book, in a few ways. For example, Treyarch originally had a 1 year turn around for every game, when compared to Infinity Ward's two year turnaround. With COD world at War, they used a 2 year turnaround instead. Seeing as Treyarch is now using a two year program on every COD game, it made business sense to have a second company involved to stagger the releases. So presumably Infinity Ward have now been working on COD6 for a while, but in all honesty I'd be bullshitting if I pretended to know that!

Phill_J said...

Thanks, but I know about the Treyarch/Infinity Ward thing - I have to work with the biggest COD fanboys on the planet and they do. Not. Stop. Talking. About. It.

Timothy William Schofield said...

Haha, fair enough!

Just thought you might not know the full picture ^^
And I'm not a giant cod fanboy myself by the way =P